Thursday, June 30, 2011

Meanwhile Back at the Ranch

Good morning I'm sitting there having my coffee and pastries as I write. I got up early to write because I want to write about this part before I head to Missoula. Above are the cows staring at me , I guess there not used to a city slicker coming through the area. They are on the pasture to the left coming in from the east. Although surrounded by mountains I'm getting a good sense of direction here. It was very quiet around here at around 11 yesterday morning. There was nobody home anywhere, but it was peaceful and quiet with only the sounds of nature.
Old Darby Road, my first address, the ranch is up the hill on the left.
I could be guilty of trespassing, but there was a large white truck parked on the property but not a human to be found so I used it as a photo op. It was not as emotional as I thought it would be since it has been 32 years. The ranch house looks a lot different and is repainted and remodeled. It was a green color and had some black wrought iron railing on the steps from the livingroom. The barn is different too sitting amongst grass with a basketball hoop (not there in my day).  The cabin/guest house my grandparents built, still standing and in good condition except the railing being gone on the porch. The path from the main complex is beautiful meadow with breathtaking views of the mountains. I was lucky to live in paradise my first 8 years of life. The property of course was smaller but again I was little then. It seemed like the Ranch in a nutshell and the rest vast property.
Yesterday was definitely a day down memory lane. After looking around Old Darby road I went to Darby to explore. I went by where I went to Kindergarden and first grade. As I was on the playground taking photos, I heard the bell ring although the school was empty for the summer. It was the playground that I had recess in.
Guilty of trespassing!
 I spent time in a large shop that carried candy to antiques. I had a nice lunch at the Deb's cafe next door, it's also located next to the Darby Pioneer Museum. It started to rain and hard so my lunch turned out to be an hour. As the rain was letting up I went next door to the Darby Pioneer museum and it was in an original homestead cluttered with antiques that I think were donated. At the end of the tour we went next door to the tiny town hall and had my picture taken at the old jail. The guys suggested I go to Painted Rocks park saying it was not too far. It was a little ways off S. Fork road, a beautiful drive.
Painted Rock's Park


Then after a drive to the lake I found Peg McClendon's house, it was so easy to find since her daughter posted pictures of it on Facebook. I left her a message earlier that day and I thought I would chance it and stop by. Her husband greeted me and asked if I was my mom. I had a lovely visit with them a few hours of catching up and a pizza dinner. She has a beautiful house amongst beautiful scenery. Especially a pond surrounded by trees outside her kitchen window. It was lovely to see her all these years and her husband was just as nice too. That was another favorite part of the trip, I got back to my room to wind down at about 8. I will write some more on this last leg of the trip starting today and see some more people in the Missoula area and the Arlee Pow Wow.

No comments:

Post a Comment