Monday, August 30, 2010

Makeshift Art Studio

I live in a modest 1 bedroom a typical home for a starving artist. My studio is not a particuliar room except for my livingroom with a skylight and a window facing north. Light from the north is an artist's best friend. Although I like to work at night I prefer to paint in the daytime or else the colors are off. If I do paintings at night, I'll have to do them at night to keep the colors consistent.
I use a TV table that I purchased at TJ Maxx for a good price, it's light and it's easy storage next to the TV console. The green tripod like thing you see is my easel that is light and great for painting out in the field Plein Aire. It's easy to fold up and to place in my closet.
This was the painting I completed today! It took over a month. Fruits of Summer 18x24 Oil on Canvas
All I did today was touch up , but I had to have enough paint out for necessary corrections.
Teatime is the project I did the 1st half of the summer. Teatime 18x24 oil on canvas
My set up on my diningroom table, I was inventorying my paints today to see what colors and supplies I needed. This is a canvas rollup for my brushes that is good for travel and my photo reference for the painting is on top.
When I'm done painting I pack up all my supplies in a backpack and place them in my closet. That's my studio in a nutshell and you all see how I do it in a modest apartment and it could be done until the time comes that when I could get a bigger place or rent studio space.
Coming attractions:

  • My step-by-step on new project
  • Classes
  • Going on the field to capture fall colors
I'm calling it a day a great one and look forward to more shares.

2 comments:

  1. It's nice to see you are bringing your art to the Internet and sharing your process!

    ReplyDelete