Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Day in the Life of an Artist: Different color tones

Another day of painting and I'm more energetic today, because it's slightly warmer and not rainy like yesterday. I plugged away some more on the checkered cloth and it still needs a little polishing. There are many different tones going on there. Very light, Light, mid, dark, and darker. I mixed various colors like; pink, blues (different shades), purples and yellows. It's because the light hits in various spots throughout the subject and everything you look at. In painting there is hardly anything with a solid color except the background.

I spent another good five hours working more on the checkered cloth and getting started on the red cloth.

The colors I got for the red cloth are the following:

Light: Cadmium red light + Cadmium Orange+ White (adding more white while painting)
Midtone: Cadmium red light+ Sienna+ white
Dark:    Cadmium red deep+ Sienna + Utramarine Blue
The next challenge is the silver gravy pitcher- so coming attractions is what I will mix to make the silver , which is like water making reflections as well as adding more white.

2 comments:

  1. I Karen! Thanks for the invite to your blog. Wow! Such talent! I can't draw a recognizable stick figure to save my life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was supposed to be, "HI"! :D

    ReplyDelete